The sealing and permanent closure of an inactive, abandoned, or unusable water well.
- Eliminate physical hazard to people, animals, and farm machinery
- Prevent entry of animals, debris, or other foreign substances
- Prevent contamination of groundwater by surface water inflow
- Restore the natural hydrogeologic conditions, to the extent possible, by preventing vertical cross contamination or commingling of groundwaters between separate water bearing zones
- Eliminate the possibility of the water well being used for any other purpose
- Allow future alternative use or management of the site